The Wrong Planet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Wrong Planet

- Central Oregon's Meet People Forum -

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Fishing Spots
by LiztheD Sun May 24, 2009 10:39 pm

» The Wrong Planet and Big Changes
by CorsePerVita Mon May 04, 2009 8:59 pm

» The weekend!!!
by LiztheD Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:46 pm

» New York Sub Shop in Redmond
by Zekefrombend Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:00 pm

» Fuel prices
by Zekefrombend Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:48 pm

» Merry Christmas!!!!
by whodamawhatcha Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:37 pm

» The "G1" phone
by CorsePerVita Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:45 am

» So yeah, I'm new here
by CorsePerVita Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:42 pm

» "bitch, you stole my money!"
by T.Province Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:16 pm

» Signed in
by CorsePerVita Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:24 am

» BLACK FRIDAY!!!
by T.Province Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:10 pm

» Fresh Out of the Oven.
by LiztheD Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:01 am

» New Sonics in Bend
by T.Province Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:44 am

» Anyone sick of the craigslist train of thought?
by CorsePerVita Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:26 am

» Howdy
by CorsePerVita Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:58 pm

» Be Sure TO Update Your Profiles!
by Admin Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:23 pm

» The scam that is Health Insurance
by LiztheD Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:08 pm

» Racing for a prez......?
by Zekefrombend Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:16 am

5 posters

The scam that is Health Insurance

InfiniteReality
    InfiniteReality
    Gold Member

Female Number of posts : 121
    Registration date : 2008-06-03

The scam that is Health Insurance Empty The scam that is Health Insurance

Post by InfiniteReality Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:04 pm

I'll tell you what - it is no wonder that the health insurance industry is such a damn racket and that health insurance premiums are through the roof! Get a load of this....recently I had a biopsy done on this growth in my throat. I have no health insurance. The cost for the biopsy was $215. Holy crap! Yes, quite expensive, I think. So I called the billing office to ask about something else, then asked if that ($215) was the uninsured price or the insured price. [sometimes I get billed the insured price at first, then when they realize I have no insurance they adjust the bill to the uninsured rate]

anywayyy...She said that was the uninsured rate. When I asked what the insurance rate is for that same procedure she said it is $417!!!!! Jimmeny christmas, I almost fell out of my chair. That shit is almost double!! There is my answer (as if I ever had any question) as to why health insurance costs are so high. The medical profession is ripping them off and charging double for the same procedures. My boss says, yeah, that's because so many people without insurance don't pay their bills and that the insured people are helping to absorb the costs that medical clinics keep losing from non-paying uninsured patients. He thinks that is why so many people don't have health insurance, because they don't like the idea that they are subsidizing all those uninsured people. Uhhh, hello? Is he kidding? I think a lot of people don't have health insurance because they either can't afford it or don't qualify.

What do you think? Why do you think so many people don't have health insurance? Do you have health insurance? If not, why not?
    LiztheD
    LiztheD
    Master Chef

Female Number of posts : 391
    Registration date : 2008-05-29

The scam that is Health Insurance Empty Re: The scam that is Health Insurance

Post by LiztheD Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:21 pm

I would love to have insurance, I have two fillings that fell out and is so hard to eat without pain, but for me and my son and husband to get insured it would be almost 400$ a month if we were sick or not! If I could get a credit card and put medical expences on it I could afford it better, but shit I cant even afford to fix my kids teeth and we make too much to get him alone on OHP. I was on OHP when I was pregnant but since then we got into a higher tax bracket and could no longer qualify. It seems that we will never be able to get insured, shit it costs less to insure my two cars then us! Evil or Very Mad
    InfiniteReality
    InfiniteReality
    Gold Member

Post by InfiniteReality Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:57 pm

I wish I had insurance, too! The whole OHP thing is ridiculous. The qualifying income limits are pretty dang low. I think for many single parents (myself included) it isn't too hard to qualify, at least for your kids, but dual income families I don't think would qualify even if they only made minimum wage. It's a pretty lame system, but what's a government to do? Universal health care, maybe? hahahahahaha I'm not holding my breath for that one. All I know is I am happier than a pig in shit that my throat lump (that I've affectionately named lumpy) is not cancerous, because I can only assume the medical profession would let me die before treating an uninsured cancer patient!
    LiztheD
    LiztheD
    Master Chef

Post by LiztheD Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:21 pm

I was thinking a while ago that I should become one of those back alley docs that treat drug addicts and people that cant afford real health care, just because of the demand and charging whatever they can afford. I have training in field dressing and can find drugs at a discount rate in Mexico, it would'nt be that hard! Evil or Very Mad
    boxiebabe
    boxiebabe

Female Number of posts : 4
    Registration date : 2008-05-28

Post by boxiebabe Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:57 am

What burns me up, is when healthcare providers give a LOWER price to insurance companies than they do to the patients without insurance. No loyalty to the patients, that's for sure! If an uninsured patient walks in with a credit card, it seems that it would be easier and cheaper for the healthcare provider than filing a claim with the insurance company and waiting for payment. What gives? This just makes no sense to me.
    ---Boxie scratch
    InfiniteReality
    InfiniteReality
    Gold Member

Post by InfiniteReality Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:14 pm

I've never seen health care bills be lower for insured patients. I have not had health insurance for years and definitely get a lower price for all the medical treatment I've ever had. I have found the insured prices to be almost double or more than what I pay. It doesn't really make sense to me that anyone pay more than anyone else.

For goodness sake I think the dang government needs to step up and take some responsibility for the health and well-being of its citizens.
    LiztheD
    LiztheD
    Master Chef

Post by LiztheD Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:21 am

They really havent in the past so why should they start now? The government really pisses me off sometimes but at least I can write that and not be in jail tomorrow! Rolling Eyes
    David A. DeLong
    David A. DeLong

Male Number of posts : 9
    Registration date : 2008-06-04

The scam that is Health Insurance Empty Insurance, yes it is a fraud!

Post by David A. DeLong Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:20 am

The isurance industry is run on the law of big numbers. The more difficult they make it for People to get care then most will go away. Almost all hmo's, the Vets, and any organized medical plan is run this way. It is not designed to really help People, it is designed to frustrate People. I have had doctors tell me that the insurance companies have hamstrung the medical profession, they don't work for their patients anymore, they work for the insurance companies. It is a maze that a Person that is ill has to have the frame of mind that they will fight, and get what they need. The question of why we don't have proper medical care in this country is a question that needs to be answered. We need to change things for oursleves. The question to that is how?
    LiztheD
    LiztheD
    Master Chef

Post by LiztheD Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:09 pm

Speaking of health related issues, I'm going in today to have them look at my teeth and probably pull two of my molars. I am very nervous I really don't want to hear the crunching sound as they pull them out. Plus my husband will be with me and he is very confrontational when they want us to spend more money.
    Anyway, wish me luck that it doesn't hurt too bad! No

Well it's 2:30 so I'm off.

Last edited by LiztheD on Tue Jun 24, 2008 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : leaving)
    Admin
    Admin
    Admin

Male Number of posts : 147
    Registration date : 2008-03-30

Post by Admin Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:27 pm

only thing you will feel is the prick of the Novocaine needle and the pressure when they pull them. I recently had one pulled and the Dr. gave me a 30 day prescription of Tylenol 3 with coding... I used 2 about an hour before the pulling and the Novocaine was enough pain control to last for the rest of the day... didn't have to take anything after it wore off... I'd give you my dentists name, but being that I'm a technician, I can't give out preferred dentist information.. sorry!
    LiztheD
    LiztheD
    Master Chef

Post by LiztheD Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Thats alright it was mostly a check and x-ray, I go Thursday for the pulling. Still nervous.
    LiztheD
    LiztheD
    Master Chef

Post by LiztheD Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:08 pm

I just recovered from messing up my back something awful! Couldn't get out of bed for a whole week, and just now able to sit long enough to type. No insurance so no pain meds, boy am I glad that I saved my vicodin from getting my teeth pulled!! Sad Other than that I seem to be recovering nicely on my own but my back is really weak. No money or insurance sucks BAD!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 am